2020-11-21

Ivy-Strewn Walls

I've had this dream before. It has never ended well.

In this dream, I'm part of a group hired to explore a mansion which has long been abandoned for unknown and mysterious reasons. Team A is exploring the interior; Team B, the exterior beyond the ivy-strewn walls, and my team, Team C, is exploring the grounds within the 40-foot walls.

My team has just completed our survey, with no answers, when one of the team says one of the most terrifying lines you will ever hear in any of my dreams.

'Hold on there. That's odd.'

General rule of thumb for my dreams. If I find it odd, it's generally going to be terrifying to everybody else.

The odd thing is a vertical crack in the western wall in the SW corner. It wasn't there before. By the time we get there, the crack has already opened out, and it turns out to be double gates, concealed by the ivy, opening inwards towards us.

Just beyond this set of gates is a broad set of forty stairs, leading up towards another wall way above us, and a set of huge double doors, apparently sealed shut. Probably with age.

Team A's leader, the overall leader of the mission, is busy within the interior. He instructs us over the walkie talkies to go up the stairs and see about trying to at least measure the doors, if not open them. I can't convey the scale of these doors enough - they are massive: you could fit two semi trucks through them, side by side, witn enough space for a third semi truck between them.

My team is almost at the top when Team B arrives at the foot of the stairs. Team B's leader looks up at us, and says this.

'I think you ought to come down from there. Don't go near that door. See, the thing is, we've gone all the way around the area outside these walls, and I can tell you that from the outside, there's no gates; no stairs, and certainly no big double doors.

'Just exterior walls, covered in ivy.'

At this point, there's a loud, deep clunk from the door. It's being opened from the other side ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me of your dreams here.