2024-08-08

Boat, Boots, Spider



I had a wonderful dream this morning, before it was interrupted by a spider landing on my face.

There is a recurring dream I have, where I am setting sail across a misty sea to reach a distant island port. Beyond that port is a much longer ocean journey, which requires a ship. This first leg of the voyage, from the mainland to the island, required a smaller vessel. A boat.

I was below decks, holdall packed, everything secured. The place where I was standing was a starboard seating area, all rows of seats pointing forward. The boat was reversing into its berth, between high stone walls, all covered in lush green algae. Other than myself, there was nobody in that compartment.

The draft of the boat was unusually low. The sea was visible from the viewport beside me, only about a metre below the bottom of the port. The waters were dark, and I could see dozens of jellyfish drifting in the serene waters. Some had been stranded, and clung to the jetty walls.

I looked forwards, and saw a wave approaching. The boat bucked, but stayed at station keeping, just rocking up and down. It was then that I realised that, while I was clothed, I'd forgotten to put my boots on - I was barefoot.

I was about to reach into my holdall to see if I'd packed my boots on the top of my luggage when Anansi began to take a tour of my face. And that was the end of my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me of your dreams here.