2020-08-19

Rick Astley

I was a time traveller, ten thousand years into the future. Some enthusiastic historians led me into their Museum of Old Terra in order to attempt to verify the nature and function of various artefacts.

Their religion section listed various songs which they believed to be hymns in praise to various gods from my time, and one artefact was The Holy Disk - the last Rick Astley vinyl in existence. The historians had discovered that there was a pattern to the grooves, which they had resolved into music and, of course, the Great Hymn which demonstrated the unconditional loyalty of their god, Riqastli, to His followers:-

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down ...

Then the historians took me around the corner to where they had the only known work of art depicting Riqastli ...

Apparently this was the only image they had of the man who was reputedly The Holiest Man To Have Ever Walked The Earth. So when they asked me if this was indeed their Riqastli, I had to say "That is indeed the image of The Holiest Man To Have Ever Walked The Earth."

One global holy war averted, I went back to my time machine. Society creates its gods in its own image. But their holiest gods never give you up, never let you down, never run around and desert you ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me of your dreams here.